We use the quotation marks:
1. before and after directly quoted material.
- Mike very much enjoyed his holidays in Miami: "I've never had better holidays in entire my life!"
- He relied, "Never, as far as I remember."
2. to set off certain titles—essays, songs, articles and short stories.
- I remember singing "Barbie Girl" with my friends when I was a teenager.
- Have read the article "Thought Police," in Newsweek ?
3. to set off words that we refer to as terms.
- I think you shouldn't use the word "nice" so often.
- In English, "the" is a definite article